Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Desktopless, headless, AIR on Linux Redhat

AIR installed fine on my RedHat RHEL 5.3 box, with the added bonus of it being a AMD-64 sytem, so a few moments of panic, but I was able to yum in the Gtk *.so. In the Gnome it’s easy enough from the desktop AdobeAIRInstaller.bin, which installs
Binaries to /opt/Adobe AIR/

This is where a little fun began, it turns out that you the application will not run and I get the following error: (./YourAIRApplication:14779): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

One way around this is to us Xvfb, a virtual frame buffer. For RedHat I was able to download the rpm and install. The bonus here is that xvfb-run is actually a script. Running the final command below works.

rpm -Uvh XFree86-Xvfb-3.3.2.3-25.i386.rpm
xvfb-run.sh
cd /opt/YourAIRApplication/bin
xvfb-run.sh ./YourAIRApplication

Attempting to run on a copied Adobe Air install: I couldn’t get Adobe Air to run from just the binaries, so I copied
/opt/Adobe\ Air to a clean box

I attempted to run ./opt/YourAIRApplication/bin/YourAIRApplication

And I get:
Error loading the runtime (libadobecertstore.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or

Time to stop and go write some Flex code!

No comments: